Skip to main content

domestic goddess

Yesterday a dear friend asked if I was interested in taking some veggies from their garden off her hands.  This is the first year in a long time that we haven't been able to cultivate our own garden because we were putting in an actual yard, so I jumped at the chance to snag fresh produce.  Can we take a second and offer a "hoorah" for generous souls that share their abundance? Seriously.  One of our new neighbors over here is more than eager to share his veggies with us.  He is the kindest older man, and even though he still hollers "Good morning, Amanda!" to me--I wave and reply "It's still Amber, Glen!"--I adore having him close.  He has brought over beets, beet greens, summer squash, green beans, winter squash... basically if you're going to help save my grocery budget so I can buy more crap off amazon prime, I'll let you call me whatever you want.  Wow... that derailed in a quick hurry, didn't it? Anyway...

When I picked up the veggies, I realized I almost had enough there to make a few batches of canned salsa.  A quick text to my mom for our secret recipe, a jaunt over to Pettingils for the remaining produce, picked up school carpool, and I was ready to get started.  I threw on my apron--which my mother in law mocks because she's super jealous that I'm such a domestic goddess-- and started prepping veggies.  I got about an hour in to this process and the circus exploded.  The kids were full crazy--was yesterday a full moon??--and I realized I had to prep dinner.  Like stat.  Tator tots instead of mashed potatoes it is! Thank goodness I had my freezer meal already going the crock pot! You're going to want to ask me about those.  Holy slice of heaven.

We had family dinner, and my kitchen was a hot mess.  I don't know about you, but my entire house feels clean if my kitchen is clean.  Likewise, if my kitchen is a disaster... you get it.  It was about at this exact moment that I lashed out at Larsen.  How dare he request chocolate milk! Now was clearly not the time.  I started doing the dishes, and realized it was time to blend the veggies that had been cooking for two and a half hours.  And then I remembered I don't own a blender.  Because... well... I'm a terrible adult.  Hand blender to the rescue!  Now to find the blade attachment... I hunted high and low until locating it in a bag on a shelf in my pantry.  As I reached to grab it, something bit me!  Ok I was actually sliced by a blade on my pico de gallo maker, but the shock factor was the same.  I take salsa very seriously over here, obviously--who owns a pico de gallo maker? Let's slice and dice that crap yourself, Amber. Honestly.  Anyway...I sliced the tip of my finger right off.  Perfect.  It's moments like these that I hate being the mom.  Like, hello.  Why is no one here to doctor me up? To listen to me whine? MOOOOMMM!!!  And then to add insult to injury I grabbed the rag off my counter to stop the bleeding.  The very rag, I realized real quick, I had just used to wipe off my counter.  You know.. the one where I was cutting jalapenos.  Super.  Bad words, bandaids, and a beverage, and I was ready to get back to work.

I was successful in my attempt at blending a double batch of salsa with a hand blender, but I wouldn't recommend it, and over the course of the next several hours that salsa was bottled, bathed, cooled, and set up in an orderly fashion in my pantry.  All while bathing kids, getting them in jammies--including the preschool class pet, which makes me want to gag whenever we get it because...other people's houses!--and cheering Dewy on while he spread gravel out back.  I even think the kids brushed their teeth.  Winning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

home tour part 1

You've all been begging for it--and by all I mean like 3 of you--so here it is.  We love our home, and one post wouldn't do it justice, so here is part one.  Say hello to the heart of the Hodges' home--the kitchen, dining, and pantry spaces.                           When we were designing the kitchen, the original plan was quite a bit different than the end result.  For example, I originally wanted a copper apron sink, but since I didn't have $4,000 to throw in that direction, we had to adapt.   The other day, Dewy and I were talking and he said, "Amber, face it.  You get whatever you want.  Just admit it." Although I knew he wasn't wrong, I didn't want to admit that I knew he spoke gospel truth here.  If I want it, I get it.  Sometimes it's because Dewy wants it too.  Sometimes it's because Dewy doesn't care, and sometimes it's because I knew he would hate it so I didn't ask before hand but went ahead and made eyes at him

knock it right off

Working in the junior high means I get to see a lot of things--some good, some bad.  Lots of ugly and lots of smelly.  One thing I see repeatedly, however, is people being mean to each other.  And I'm not just talking about the students.  Parents are mean to each other.  Parents are mean to staff and teachers.  Teachers are mean to each other.  Teachers are mean to parents and students.  Students are mean to staff and teachers.  I want to strap a Go-Pro to my head and let the world see exactly what I see, because I think the majority of society would be appalled. And this morning I realized that I have had enough. The problem is, I don't feel like this behavior is strictly found inside the walls of this school.  In fact, if we are being honest with ourselves, I think the same behavior is found literally everywhere.  People are mean.  And right now "bullying" is a buzz word.  Now, I'm not going to point the finger at everyone else.  I'm the meanest human I kn

well that was awkward

A long time ago I learned that if you were going to be the fat kid in school you had to be funny.  Otherwise you had no friends.  You can thank that epiphany for the countless hours of laughing I have provided you over the years.  All joking aside, I'm naturally witty and funny, but I'm also naturally overweight.  Always have been.  I can remember the first time I recognized my fat rolls.  It was fourth grade, and I was in a grey ROXY tshirt that had a stripe of orange flowers across the chest.  I was in my bedroom sitting at my desk to do homework, when I glanced up and caught sight of myself in my full body mirror and there they were.  I'd been teased and called fat countless times before--even by members of my own family, but it was that moment when I recognized it in myself.  That was the first time I told myself I was fat.  Once I tried to pay attention to how often I said that or something similar to myself.  I gave myself three hours, and had to stop because I lost c