Skip to main content

that one time i started a business

People that have known me for a while, know that a few years ago I started a small business.  It started being just head wraps, but shortly after included hair bows, bow ties, scrunchies, hair ties, earrings, and essential oils bags/cosmetic bags.  I made all the products by hand, and I loved every second of it.  I loved drowning in fabric, finding new materials online for my products, introducing new lines, and hiring models for photo shoots.  I loved knowing people in Switzerland, India, and Maine were wearing something I made.  I learned a lot of things in the early stages of this business, and while the business is still something I do, I've taken a different spin on how I work it.
In order to understand the business, you should know why I started it in the first place.  I was already an English teacher, piano teacher, mom, wife, and active member of my church community... so clearly the reason was free time, right?

 My husband and I were trying to have our second baby, and this was the first experience of my adult  life when I actually felt completely out of control of what was happening.  I'll be the first to admit that my life, although not devoid of heartache or trial, has been fairly smooth.  My husband will be the first to tell you that I get what I want, even when no one believes it will happen.  I don't know why this is, but I believe Jen Sincero--I'll talk more about her in another post, promise!--when she says that if we put it out in the universe, our energy is rewarded.  When we planned the arrival of our oldest son, everything happened according to plan.  We conceived when we wanted, I delivered the day I wanted, and everything went exactly how it was supposed to.  So when we had tried for months to get our second baby here, I was confused and frustrated.  You may have noticed that I'm slightly bossy, and even a slight control freak, so I clearly took this little situation really well.  At first, we kept the desire for a baby a secret from everyone.  You know how that goes, right?

"So when are you having another one?  It's about time isn't it?"

"He's getting pretty old.  Better have another baby, so he isn't spoiled."

"Just focusing on work, Amber? That's a shame."

People are so cute.  So when the sweet old ladies kept commenting on my rotting ovaries, I started retaliating.

"I'm clearly a terrible mother, and the Lord doesn't want to entrust me with another child!"

"We are going on two and a half years of trying, so thanks for asking."

"We forgot how to do that..."

I'm hilarious.  As the months of trying turned into a year, and then a year and a half, I was slowly slipping into insanity--or maybe that was Dewy who had to deal with me.  I was a psycho you guys.  And that was before the Clomid... Dewy actually deserves some kind of award for sticking around through that escapade.  Wowzer.  The worst part? I could hear myself being completely unreasonable and insane, and I either didn't care or couldn't stop it.  Where are all my fertility mommas at?  Can I get a "hoorah" for husbands who endure to the end?  They are the real heroes.

Anyway...I needed something to throw myself into full force.  Something that would be my distraction when every month I was let down, and something to motivate me to stop crying on the bathroom floor.  So I started sewing.  And people started buying.  And the next thing I knew I had a business.  And that is when people started coming out of the wood works requesting freebies.  Nothing is more annoying than feeling like the people who are supposed to support you and be your tribe don't believe in what you're doing or refuse to support you.  Everyone wants a discount, and it is so hard to find the line between the "friends and family discount" and the "I'm actually losing money now" scenarios.  You know what, guys? Starting a business is hard.  Like really hard.  I needed something distracting, though, and this did just the trick.  The two lessons you should take away from this:

1. Don't ask people about having babies.  It's rude.  The national average size of a family is like 4 humans, and that's because Utah's average is like 11 and bringing the national average up.  Lay off.
2. If someone you love is starting a business, be supportive.  That doesn't mean you have to buy stuff, but for crying out loud say nice things.  There are loads of ways to be supportive that doesn't require buying merchandise.

Now... who is interested in some accessories...

Comments

  1. Amen sista! I didn't know you had this side gig.. we use the cute hair ties you gave Natalie when she bonked her head-- well me less now that my hair is chopped off! 🤣 But since starting YouTube, I've been amazed at all the friends who pushed me to do it -- but even some of my closest friends haven't said one word since I actually went for it. Obviously a different situation than what you're describing.. but it's the support I'm referring to. Show some love folks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you use them! This gig comes in handy when I need a gift quick! 🤣 I love your YouTube channel, and I’ll be devastated if you stop doing it! Hang in there, girl! Those who matter will love you and everything that brings you joy!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

knock it right off

Working in the junior high means I get to see a lot of things--some good, some bad.  Lots of ugly and lots of smelly.  One thing I see repeatedly, however, is people being mean to each other.  And I'm not just talking about the students.  Parents are mean to each other.  Parents are mean to staff and teachers.  Teachers are mean to each other.  Teachers are mean to parents and students.  Students are mean to staff and teachers.  I want to strap a Go-Pro to my head and let the world see exactly what I see, because I think the majority of society would be appalled. And this morning I realized that I have had enough. The problem is, I don't feel like this behavior is strictly found inside the walls of this school.  In fact, if we are being honest with ourselves, I think the same behavior is found literally everywhere.  People are mean.  And right now "bullying" is a buzz word.  Now, I'm not going to point the finger at everyone else.  I'm the meanest human I kn

i never wanted to be a teacher, but here we are

I've taught English for almost a decade.  For a while it was 8th and 9th grade, but for the last six years I have taught strictly 9th and 9th grade honors English.  I've also coached cheerleading and been the student government advisor, which means that over the course of the last nine years I have worked with the best this junior high has to offer.  Don't get me wrong, all 15 year old kids can be squirrly and obnoxious, but for the most part--if you smack them around a little--they are so fun. Those elementary teachers, though? They are the real heroes. If you screw up a kid in elementary, they are screwed for life... at my job, they come already screwed up.  Way less pressure that way. I'm obviously kind of kidding. My days are mostly the same.  Instruction, grading, a hormonal girl crying, pulling two kids away from each other as they try to make out in  the hall--my kids know my rules on PDA: 1. you must be good looking and 2. you must be good at it, and they are

home tour part 1

You've all been begging for it--and by all I mean like 3 of you--so here it is.  We love our home, and one post wouldn't do it justice, so here is part one.  Say hello to the heart of the Hodges' home--the kitchen, dining, and pantry spaces.                           When we were designing the kitchen, the original plan was quite a bit different than the end result.  For example, I originally wanted a copper apron sink, but since I didn't have $4,000 to throw in that direction, we had to adapt.   The other day, Dewy and I were talking and he said, "Amber, face it.  You get whatever you want.  Just admit it." Although I knew he wasn't wrong, I didn't want to admit that I knew he spoke gospel truth here.  If I want it, I get it.  Sometimes it's because Dewy wants it too.  Sometimes it's because Dewy doesn't care, and sometimes it's because I knew he would hate it so I didn't ask before hand but went ahead and made eyes at him