Skip to main content

whatcha readin' wednesday

Part of my job as an English teacher is to help my students learn to LOVE reading.  I'm convinced that everyone loves to read, and if they say they don't it is only because they haven't found the right book.  Enter Amber.

When I was small, my dad traveled a lot for work.  Although I don't completely remember how it started, at some point we began reading novels together.  The first novel we read was Where the Red Fern Grows, and I will still tell you it is my favorite book of all time--not because the story was fascinating or because it was so well written or because my dad got emotional at the end, but because it reminds me of sitting in my bed with my dad.  Just him an me.  I'm sure at the time he was probably exhausted from work and travel and being the dad of five kids--pretty sure it was only four when this started, but he had like the most perfect kids so it's not like being a dad was even hard--but he still took the time to read with me.  I give my dad all the credit for my love of reading, and even for the career path I took.  My dad is rad.

It is my life's mission to pair up each of my students--or any human being, really--with a book they will fall in love with. All it takes is the right book, people.  I take them to the library every other week, and I throw books in their faces all year long.   Some of them are successes, and some are flops, but either way we have a good laugh at how geeked out I go when it comes to books.  I get the crazy eyes, and sometimes I think students take the book so I'll chill out.  Pairing up each of you with books isn't exactly possible, but since when have I ever not gone full boar at something impossible? Bring. It. On.  

Mark your calendars, people, and get out your library cards.  Every Wednesday I'm going to post about books I read over the week, with honest reviews, starting right now.

The President Has Been Shot by James L. Swanson

This is a historical nonfiction book about the assassination of JFK.  I love nonfiction, and historical nonfiction is even better.  This book includes photographs of settings, artifacts, people, etc., and who doesn't love a book with pictures.  It goes through the life of John F. Kennedy and dives in to the decisions he made while serving in office.  The book also gives a play by play of Lee Harvey Oswald, the man who shot the president, and includes a full breakdown of how he executed his deadly plan.  Historical fiction can tend to get a little dull if the author's writing turns into a regurgitation of facts and dates, but this book is riveting.  One of my favorite in this genre by far.  




Girl, Wash Your Face! by Rachel Hollis
You knew this was coming, right? Is there a soul out there who hasn't at least heard about this book, yet? If so, you must be living under a rock.  This book falls under the self-help genre and breaks down the lies we tell ourselves that hold us back from reaching our full potential or fulfilling our wildest dreams.  Each chapter addresses a lie we tell ourselves, and Rachel Hollis offers suggestions for breaking through and conquering that mindset.  Her writing is hilarious, and the second she said "Bras are the devil's work" I knew we were destined to be besties.  Don't even get my started on the toe shaving story.  The woman is hilarious.  There were parts of this book that I found dull, but only because I didn't feel like that particular lie pertained to me and my current situation. This book is monumental, and I feel like every woman--working, single, childless, or with 12 kids--should read it.  If you want to get the most out of it possible, you better be prepared to be honest with yourself, and at some points that gets really painful.  "Get up, right now.  Rise up from where you've been, scrub away the tears and pain of yesterday, and start again...Girl, wash your face!"




The Forsaken by Lisa M. Stasse
Where are all my fiction lover's?! This book is a dystopian novel about a girl who lives in a society where they are required to take an exam when they are in their late teens.  This exam determines if they have criminal tendencies, and if they fail they are banished to an island called The Wheel.  A bunch of criminal minors left alone on an island? Sounds like a great idea.  The story is full of intensity and had me on the edge of my seat.  Plus, I love a book that throws something at me that I didn't see coming! This is the first book in a trilogy, and I own all three.  When the library tells you it's out of copies--because I know you are all going to go running to get it, right?!--you can come borrow mine! Trust me, guys... you are not going to see the end coming.  My suggestion? Grab the second one while you're there, cause you're going to need it.  



Because I'm such a book nerd, I welcome ALL your suggestions.  What books do you love? What books have you read? What books do you hate? Got a book you want to know about? Let me read it and give you an opinion! Leave your thoughts and suggestions in the comments below, and help me help the world by sharing this post!  "You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book" --Dr. Seuss




Comments

  1. Yay! I needed some book suggestions. These all sound like books I'd love. I'd also love to hear your thoughts on Tina Fey's "Bossypants".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ll add that to my list right now! Tune in every Wednesday for my recommendations. It’s embarrassing how many I have 🤣

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

knock it right off

Working in the junior high means I get to see a lot of things--some good, some bad.  Lots of ugly and lots of smelly.  One thing I see repeatedly, however, is people being mean to each other.  And I'm not just talking about the students.  Parents are mean to each other.  Parents are mean to staff and teachers.  Teachers are mean to each other.  Teachers are mean to parents and students.  Students are mean to staff and teachers.  I want to strap a Go-Pro to my head and let the world see exactly what I see, because I think the majority of society would be appalled. And this morning I realized that I have had enough. The problem is, I don't feel like this behavior is strictly found inside the walls of this school.  In fact, if we are being honest with ourselves, I think the same behavior is found literally everywhere.  People are mean.  And right now "bullying" is a buzz word.  Now, I'm not going to point the finger at everyone else.  I'm the meanest human I kn

home tour part 1

You've all been begging for it--and by all I mean like 3 of you--so here it is.  We love our home, and one post wouldn't do it justice, so here is part one.  Say hello to the heart of the Hodges' home--the kitchen, dining, and pantry spaces.                           When we were designing the kitchen, the original plan was quite a bit different than the end result.  For example, I originally wanted a copper apron sink, but since I didn't have $4,000 to throw in that direction, we had to adapt.   The other day, Dewy and I were talking and he said, "Amber, face it.  You get whatever you want.  Just admit it." Although I knew he wasn't wrong, I didn't want to admit that I knew he spoke gospel truth here.  If I want it, I get it.  Sometimes it's because Dewy wants it too.  Sometimes it's because Dewy doesn't care, and sometimes it's because I knew he would hate it so I didn't ask before hand but went ahead and made eyes at him

i'm not as good as i once was

Being a mom of boys, I always anticipated the day when sports would take over our lives.  I didn't anticipate the decibels it would raise my voice to, or how much hair I could lose from yanking on it. I also didn't realize that I could love and hate something so fiercely... you know... other than my children.   I grew up in an athletic family, and sports have always been a part of my life, so I was totally fine with sports consuming us.  Being on the mom end of sports is a whole different animal than being a player, and I'm not going to sit here and lie to you and say that mama bear hasn't unleashed from time to time on an unsuspecting five year old. There are a lot of opinions revolving around the idea of organized sports, and having been a coach I'll be the first to acknowledge that this world isn't for everyone.  I do think that there are important life lessons that come from being on a team, which is why I will always encourage my boys to play.  I also bel