Skip to main content

the mighty hunter returns

When Dewy finally reached service, and started getting the onslaught of texts I'd been sending him for over a week, he gave his hot little number a call--that's obviously me.  When I picked up the phone, a little too eagerly, and after a few inappropriate comments, the following conversation ensued:

Me: So....?
Dewy: Jake shot a deer!
Me: Why would I care what Jake shot? Did you shoot anything?
Dewy: Well, no.  But I have a lot of stories!
Me: That is NOT why we go hunting, dear. Nor is that a legitimate reason to endanger the lives of your children.

When Dewy comes off the mountain, he's like a new man.  He is more patient.  I believe this comes from the massive amount of patience required to hike for miles and pursue large game.  Or at least that is how he describes it... "Do you know how hard it is? How close you have to get to the elk without them seeing, hearing, or smelling you?" Well honey, I'm smelling you right now, and I can only imagine what is causing your problems up there.  He is more loving.  I believe this comes from being in camp with five men for over a week.  One of the texts I sent him said, "I think it's time to come home now.  I look hot today...way hotter than Jake or Tyson.  Plus, boobs."  This also could have come from the fact that one of the guys in camp left his wife an son a surprise for every day he was gone, and the guilt was getting to the rest of the men when they found out.  Dewy came home to a drained bank account, and a mountain of things from Victoria's Secret--none of which he will appreciate--when I found that out.  Ok let's be honest...I had already spent that money before I knew, and Dewy is such a hunk that I didn't even care.  He thinks more clearly.  This is great because after 8 days of being in survival mode over here, we need someone who can think clearly.  There's something about fresh air and unplugging from the world that really helps one focus.  Not enough to entice me to any mountain, but whatever.  That is what a pedicure is for.  






















It doesn't matter if he brings home the bacon or just a mountain of disgusting laundry.  He is happier, more content, and rejuvenated, and that is the reason I will always support his hunting hobbies.  Also, when we built this house and I tripled our kitchen budget--oops--he only agreed to it if I swore I would never complain when he went hunting.  So there's that.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

home tour part 1

You've all been begging for it--and by all I mean like 3 of you--so here it is.  We love our home, and one post wouldn't do it justice, so here is part one.  Say hello to the heart of the Hodges' home--the kitchen, dining, and pantry spaces.                           When we were designing the kitchen, the original plan was quite a bit different than the end result.  For example, I originally wanted a copper apron sink, but since I didn't have $4,000 to throw in that direction, we had to adapt.   The other day, Dewy and I were talking and he said, "Amber, face it.  You get whatever you want.  Just admit it." Although I knew he wasn't wrong, I didn't want to admit that I knew he spoke gospel truth here.  If I want it, I get it.  Sometimes it's because Dewy wants it too.  Sometimes it's because Dewy doesn't care, and sometimes it's because I knew he would hate it so I didn't ask before hand but went ahead and made eyes at him

knock it right off

Working in the junior high means I get to see a lot of things--some good, some bad.  Lots of ugly and lots of smelly.  One thing I see repeatedly, however, is people being mean to each other.  And I'm not just talking about the students.  Parents are mean to each other.  Parents are mean to staff and teachers.  Teachers are mean to each other.  Teachers are mean to parents and students.  Students are mean to staff and teachers.  I want to strap a Go-Pro to my head and let the world see exactly what I see, because I think the majority of society would be appalled. And this morning I realized that I have had enough. The problem is, I don't feel like this behavior is strictly found inside the walls of this school.  In fact, if we are being honest with ourselves, I think the same behavior is found literally everywhere.  People are mean.  And right now "bullying" is a buzz word.  Now, I'm not going to point the finger at everyone else.  I'm the meanest human I kn

i'm not as good as i once was

Being a mom of boys, I always anticipated the day when sports would take over our lives.  I didn't anticipate the decibels it would raise my voice to, or how much hair I could lose from yanking on it. I also didn't realize that I could love and hate something so fiercely... you know... other than my children.   I grew up in an athletic family, and sports have always been a part of my life, so I was totally fine with sports consuming us.  Being on the mom end of sports is a whole different animal than being a player, and I'm not going to sit here and lie to you and say that mama bear hasn't unleashed from time to time on an unsuspecting five year old. There are a lot of opinions revolving around the idea of organized sports, and having been a coach I'll be the first to acknowledge that this world isn't for everyone.  I do think that there are important life lessons that come from being on a team, which is why I will always encourage my boys to play.  I also bel