Skip to main content

home tour part 2


Let's keep the party going over here, shall we? I'm sure you've all been hanging on the edge of your seat waiting for the tour to continue.  If you haven't, well... shame on you.
Our entry way was a big focus of mine when we designed our house.  Our previous home had a split entry, and after six years of trying to haul in infant carriers, children, groceries--all at the same time--I was adamant about having a spacious entry way.  The front door was always going to be a color, and the options I was throwing out caused Dewy major stress.  Don't tell him, but the bright colors I mentioned were just to watch him squirm.  I was always going to pick blue.  Plus the name of the color is Salty Dog, so it was appropriate when it came time to paint our dog house that I should pick that color to match. I wanted windows in the door, but not to forfeit any privacy, so the high window in the side panel and the three across the door nailed the goal.  As for the light fixture... can we just do a collective sigh?  Dewy actually picked that light.  He's got good taste.  I mean... hello... he married me.


As for that entry table? I built it myself.  Ha.  Yeah right.  I've learned a lot of things over my 30 years of life, and one of them is to surround myself with awesome people.  It's even better if these awesome people have skills.  We've been friends with Kurt and Marcia for years, and we keep them around for the laughs and the handiwork.  That table is a Kurt Wilson original, along with about half the other decor in my house.  I complained one night that I needed a table but couldn't find one the right size and style, muttered some vague measurements, and BAM! In walks Kurt a few days later with the most glorious barn wood entry table known to man.  Sorry ladies, he's already married to a rock star, and the role of best friends has been taken as well.  The flooring runs throughout the entire house, and is a hand scraped laminate.  I loved the grey coloring to it, and the movement of the grain. It hides all kinds of grime, which makes it mom's best friend.

Next to the entry is my piano room.  I realize formal living spaces are losing their popularity, which is why I didn't refer to it as such.  I need a rug.  Also pillows.  I welcome all suggestions for places to purchase cool rugs. My favorite part of this room--other than the piano which is well loved--is the framed art on the far wall.  I literally built this room with those pictures and prints in mind.  I wanted to set a tone for when people entered my home, and what better way then with those?  You know... until they get inside and realize we are out of control. We will bamboozle you as long as possible.  If you are interested in where I got the prints, let me know.  The black frames came from Amazon, and the barn wood frame is another Kurt Wilson original.  For the record, I wanted the frame to be a 1x2 raw pine frame.  When I presented that to Dewy and Kurt they told me it was a stupid idea, so naturally we took votes.  Everyone I text for a vote betrayed me, and voted barn wood.  Don't tell them, but I think we made the right choice.   The shelves in this room were made by Dewy and Kurt as well, and all the matching barn wood is as close as I will ever get to owning anything related to livestock.

The boys bedrooms and bathroom are on this side of the house as well.  Putting the boys on the opposite side of the house was one of the smartest moves we've ever made.  It's quieter, and if someone breaks in to my house they are the closest to the door.  Don't worry, they would bring them right back.  The bedrooms are mirror images of each other, and my claim to fame here was the genius move of putting drawers in the closets.  We discovered it was cheaper to buy a dresser and have the finish guys install it and build the closet organization around them, rather than have them build actual drawers, so that is what we did. 
Throw in some Walmart bins and some hooks for backpacks, and these closets are complete!  All bedrooms have fans, but the rooms on the front of the house have plantation shutters as window treatments, while the rooms at the back have blackout shades.  I love them both, so special thanks to Tyson Thornock--the window treatment guy--for putting on his brave pants and talking me out of my original idea of shutters everywhere.  Even when I demanded I wasn't interested in hearing his ideas.  Man... I'm seeing a pattern of men changing my mind here that I didn't realize until now.  Can't say I'm too impressed.

The boy's bathroom is pretty dreamy.  I bet you've never said those words before.  Boys are foul.  Like... so foul.  Anyway... I didn't want to incorporate subway tile in my kitchen, because I knew it was going to be floor to ceiling in this bathroom, and again, black grout required.  Fransisco--the tile guy--was super unimpressed by that decision.  I'd rather not know the mold was there, thank you very much.  We had a light put in the shower, which I'm super pumped about, along with the beautiful brass fixture over the sink.  The counters are white quartz with a 2 inch mitered edge, the floors are linoleum--and not the stupid 1950's kind--and I'm still hunting for something to hang above the toilet.  Smaller subway tile back splash, a drawer underneath the cabinet, and all I need now is for no one to use the bathroom.  Or rather... only those who know how to use the bathroom like humans, not savages who pee all over the place.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

knock it right off

Working in the junior high means I get to see a lot of things--some good, some bad.  Lots of ugly and lots of smelly.  One thing I see repeatedly, however, is people being mean to each other.  And I'm not just talking about the students.  Parents are mean to each other.  Parents are mean to staff and teachers.  Teachers are mean to each other.  Teachers are mean to parents and students.  Students are mean to staff and teachers.  I want to strap a Go-Pro to my head and let the world see exactly what I see, because I think the majority of society would be appalled. And this morning I realized that I have had enough. The problem is, I don't feel like this behavior is strictly found inside the walls of this school.  In fact, if we are being honest with ourselves, I think the same behavior is found literally everywhere.  People are mean.  And right now "bullying" is a buzz word.  Now, I'm not going to point the finger at everyone else.  I'm the meanest human I kn

i never wanted to be a teacher, but here we are

I've taught English for almost a decade.  For a while it was 8th and 9th grade, but for the last six years I have taught strictly 9th and 9th grade honors English.  I've also coached cheerleading and been the student government advisor, which means that over the course of the last nine years I have worked with the best this junior high has to offer.  Don't get me wrong, all 15 year old kids can be squirrly and obnoxious, but for the most part--if you smack them around a little--they are so fun. Those elementary teachers, though? They are the real heroes. If you screw up a kid in elementary, they are screwed for life... at my job, they come already screwed up.  Way less pressure that way. I'm obviously kind of kidding. My days are mostly the same.  Instruction, grading, a hormonal girl crying, pulling two kids away from each other as they try to make out in  the hall--my kids know my rules on PDA: 1. you must be good looking and 2. you must be good at it, and they are

home tour part 1

You've all been begging for it--and by all I mean like 3 of you--so here it is.  We love our home, and one post wouldn't do it justice, so here is part one.  Say hello to the heart of the Hodges' home--the kitchen, dining, and pantry spaces.                           When we were designing the kitchen, the original plan was quite a bit different than the end result.  For example, I originally wanted a copper apron sink, but since I didn't have $4,000 to throw in that direction, we had to adapt.   The other day, Dewy and I were talking and he said, "Amber, face it.  You get whatever you want.  Just admit it." Although I knew he wasn't wrong, I didn't want to admit that I knew he spoke gospel truth here.  If I want it, I get it.  Sometimes it's because Dewy wants it too.  Sometimes it's because Dewy doesn't care, and sometimes it's because I knew he would hate it so I didn't ask before hand but went ahead and made eyes at him