Skip to main content

that time i almost bought an asian



Last weekend was life changing.  Well... not really, but it WAS super fun.  Friday morning I got Rhett to school, Baylor to the doctor, my chores all done, and I left the premises.  I had the car to myself--which meant no listening to the movie Trolls--and finished up an audio book while I drove to the cabin.  Aside from it being freezing upon arrival, I spent the later morning and early afternoon in utter bliss.  Do you ever just want to be alone? Like no other human interactions whatsoever? I love people, but sometimes I just want to lock myself in a closet and not talk to, look at, or touch another person for a minute.  No three year olds playing with my hair.  No babies sitting on my feet.  No seven year olds--and their sweaty grossness--yanking on my arm.  Mama is in time out, people.  I started dinner, went on a trail-ish-run, and after a couple hours welcomed one of my besties to the cabin.  It was the perfect amount of alone time.  Marcia unpacked, and we grabbed a snack.  Then it was time to binge watch Friends, take a nap, and await the arrival of our hunter husbands.
Saturday morning we sent the men back to the mountain, and we made our way to Park City to meet up with another hunter widow and bestie, Heather.  Stop number one: pedicures.  Now, I get pedicures pretty regularly because I'm high maintenance, and I'm here to tell you that this was literally the best pedicure I've ever had.  The woman was a dream come true.  45 minutes into my foot massage--thats right, not even the nail care portion of my pedicure was counted in that 45 minutes--I asked her how she felt about coming home with me.  The sweet Asian lady replied that she felt good about it once I promised  that I was a good cook.  She obviously didn't take me seriously, and I felt like pushing the issue would get me flagged for human trafficking.

 
We went to lunch--me wearing my foam flip flops from the salon shamelessly--and then hit up the outlets.  I am perfectly ok with admitting that we caused some damage during our shopping escapades.  I would also like to issue a formal apology to Zac at the VANS store and Alex at Under Armour for our shenanigans they had to endure.  Let it be known that both were champs about it.  A pit stop at Coldstone for ice cream--Marcia got in touch with her inner child there--and we were headed back to the cabin for the night.  When the men arrived, Dewy asked me how much I spent.  His concern was valid, but I replied that, "I didn't spend nearly as much as I could have! I almost bought an Asian!" and the look of sheer horror was enough to deter the conversation to other topics.  More food, Friends episodes, laughing, and sleep, and before we knew it reality slapped us right in the face.  I was back to getting sippy cups of chocolate milk, coloring supplies, laundry, and baths, but for a brief moment I forgot all those existed.
As a random side note, the men did not shoot anything.  I'm not even sure I believe the story that one of them did see some.  It should be known however that all weekend I was feeding this guy and his ladies off the back deck at the cabin.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

knock it right off

Working in the junior high means I get to see a lot of things--some good, some bad.  Lots of ugly and lots of smelly.  One thing I see repeatedly, however, is people being mean to each other.  And I'm not just talking about the students.  Parents are mean to each other.  Parents are mean to staff and teachers.  Teachers are mean to each other.  Teachers are mean to parents and students.  Students are mean to staff and teachers.  I want to strap a Go-Pro to my head and let the world see exactly what I see, because I think the majority of society would be appalled. And this morning I realized that I have had enough. The problem is, I don't feel like this behavior is strictly found inside the walls of this school.  In fact, if we are being honest with ourselves, I think the same behavior is found literally everywhere.  People are mean.  And right now "bullying" is a buzz word.  Now, I'm not going to point the finger at everyone else.  I'm the meanest human I kn

home tour part 1

You've all been begging for it--and by all I mean like 3 of you--so here it is.  We love our home, and one post wouldn't do it justice, so here is part one.  Say hello to the heart of the Hodges' home--the kitchen, dining, and pantry spaces.                           When we were designing the kitchen, the original plan was quite a bit different than the end result.  For example, I originally wanted a copper apron sink, but since I didn't have $4,000 to throw in that direction, we had to adapt.   The other day, Dewy and I were talking and he said, "Amber, face it.  You get whatever you want.  Just admit it." Although I knew he wasn't wrong, I didn't want to admit that I knew he spoke gospel truth here.  If I want it, I get it.  Sometimes it's because Dewy wants it too.  Sometimes it's because Dewy doesn't care, and sometimes it's because I knew he would hate it so I didn't ask before hand but went ahead and made eyes at him

i'm not as good as i once was

Being a mom of boys, I always anticipated the day when sports would take over our lives.  I didn't anticipate the decibels it would raise my voice to, or how much hair I could lose from yanking on it. I also didn't realize that I could love and hate something so fiercely... you know... other than my children.   I grew up in an athletic family, and sports have always been a part of my life, so I was totally fine with sports consuming us.  Being on the mom end of sports is a whole different animal than being a player, and I'm not going to sit here and lie to you and say that mama bear hasn't unleashed from time to time on an unsuspecting five year old. There are a lot of opinions revolving around the idea of organized sports, and having been a coach I'll be the first to acknowledge that this world isn't for everyone.  I do think that there are important life lessons that come from being on a team, which is why I will always encourage my boys to play.  I also bel