Skip to main content

i'm ready for my award now...


According to Jen Sincero, the energy you put into the universe will come back to you.  So the way I see it, the reason I always find awesome humans everywhere I go is because I'm awesome.  Right? One of the hardest parts of moving from our first home was the people we left behind.  I can honestly say that coming to terms with the idea of not seeing my neighbors every day is what took us so long to list the house.  We were sure there was never going to be another group like them.  How could there be? Now, let's be clear that our Harrisville posse has NOT been replaced.  However, we've landed a North Ogden tribe and we are growing rather fond of them.  We have been having iron chef competitions among these new friends, and this weekend we did a Friendsgiving with the competition being pie.  I was obviously a shoe in for champion, so I figured I would show you how I work my pie magic!
Making pie is an art form, and before you can begin you have to prepare accordingly.  That means that step one is to clean the kitchen.  Make sure the dishwasher is empty--you'll thank me later--,counters are clean, sink is free...you get it.  Next, grab all the ingredients, get your blue tooth speaker cranked, and roll up your sleeves.  If you are anyone besides my mother in law, throw on your apron--she is morally opposed to those--cause it's about to get crazy.  

Tip number one: Have your mom on speed dial.  My mom makes miraculous pies, and all the pies I make are stolen from her recipes.  Tip two: Use the butter flavored Crisco blocks.  They are premeasured and easy to use.  The crust is made from unbleached flour, crisco, salt, and ice cold water.  Like literally water that has ice cubes.  Throw it all together, and mix it with your hands.  That is why the playlist is crucial.  Mixing this stuff can turn into quite the workout, and the apron is because it tends to get a little wild. My recipe made three whole pies and a pie shell, and since I was going for the win here I chose to make razzleberry pie.  NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH RASPBERRY.  Every time I make mention of this kind of pie it's the same conversation.  

"Razzleberry pie is my favorite."

"Raspberry?"

"No.  If I meant raspberry I would have said raspberry."

"Well, what the heck is razzleberry?"

Once the dough is mixed, flour the counter top and use a rolling pin to roll out a chunk that will serve as the bottom.  It is easiest to place the shell in the dish by folding the rolled out slab in half, setting it in the dish, then unfolding it, but if you like to live dangerously go ahead and do it however you want.  Once I have all the shells in, I make the filling and let the oven preheat.  Today, this is about when everything went to crap.  As I was stirring the corn starch into the filling, the mixture started to boil a bit.  A slight bubble erupted, and splashed filling the temperature of molten lava onto my forearm.

I immediately jerked my arm back, you know... the one holding the whisk, and launched the portion of filling that was stuck inside the whisk across the kitchen.  Floor, counter, cabinet... it spattered E.V.E.R.Y.W.H.E.R.E!  So there I was in the midst of a real life crisis... swear about the pain in my arm or rush to clean the berry filling off my white cabinets? I mastered some weird combination of both, and in so doing burnt the filling.  This, friends, is why I made sure to buy double of everything I needed.  Except, of course, the corn starch. This is also the part where you're trying to figure out why I am qualified to teach anyone about anything, especially pie making, when I'm obviously a clown.  I immediately marco polo-ed one friend, text another, and called a third in search of my missing ingredient because I am needy and dramatic.  Don't worry... they ALL pulled through and suddenly I was swimming in the stuff.  Had the cops shown up, I would have been arrested for dealing cocaine.  Rest assured that round two went much smoother, and no cabinets were harmed in the making of my pies. 


Next, I scooped the filling into the pies, placed the top of the shell on using the same method as I did the base, and cut three lines in the center for venting.  Brush a little milk across the top and sprinkle some sugar and Ba-Bam! you are ready to bake.  Spend the hour it takes to bake the pies loading and running the dishwasher, sweeping and mopping the floor, and cleaning off the counters/walls and you're all set for the party.  You should all be jealous that you didn't get to taste this, and you should also be aware that I totally won the contest.  #hodgesforthewin2018  You should also be aware that Kelly wins the real MVP for the make shift fiiz bar.  Us North Ogden senior millennials--you know because we were born in the 80's so we just barely made the cut and therefore are considered "elder"--really know how to have a good time. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

you little smarty pants.

I'm not sure if you've heard or not, but I'm a teacher.  If you're new here, welcome! and buckle up because I talk about my job A LOT.  I feel very passionate about education, and have some strong opinions about pedagogy, testing, homework, and more. I'm also a strong advocate for teachers.  My poor boys are so screwed.  I'd like to think I'll always have their backs when it comes to dealing with issues at school, but if they are being bone heads to their teachers... beware the wrath of this mom-teacher.  I have a feeling I'll be taking the side of the teacher. Whatever.  My oldest son is in second grade and participating in a dual immersion program at school.  This means that half of his day is learning language arts and reading in English, and half of his day is spent learning science and math in Spanish.  I'm talking no English speaking is allowed.  I have great things to say about this program, and some negative things, but overall it is work

i never wanted to be a teacher, but here we are

I've taught English for almost a decade.  For a while it was 8th and 9th grade, but for the last six years I have taught strictly 9th and 9th grade honors English.  I've also coached cheerleading and been the student government advisor, which means that over the course of the last nine years I have worked with the best this junior high has to offer.  Don't get me wrong, all 15 year old kids can be squirrly and obnoxious, but for the most part--if you smack them around a little--they are so fun. Those elementary teachers, though? They are the real heroes. If you screw up a kid in elementary, they are screwed for life... at my job, they come already screwed up.  Way less pressure that way. I'm obviously kind of kidding. My days are mostly the same.  Instruction, grading, a hormonal girl crying, pulling two kids away from each other as they try to make out in  the hall--my kids know my rules on PDA: 1. you must be good looking and 2. you must be good at it, and they are

knock it right off

Working in the junior high means I get to see a lot of things--some good, some bad.  Lots of ugly and lots of smelly.  One thing I see repeatedly, however, is people being mean to each other.  And I'm not just talking about the students.  Parents are mean to each other.  Parents are mean to staff and teachers.  Teachers are mean to each other.  Teachers are mean to parents and students.  Students are mean to staff and teachers.  I want to strap a Go-Pro to my head and let the world see exactly what I see, because I think the majority of society would be appalled. And this morning I realized that I have had enough. The problem is, I don't feel like this behavior is strictly found inside the walls of this school.  In fact, if we are being honest with ourselves, I think the same behavior is found literally everywhere.  People are mean.  And right now "bullying" is a buzz word.  Now, I'm not going to point the finger at everyone else.  I'm the meanest human I kn