Skip to main content

whatcha reading wednesday.

Shatter Me 
By: Tahereh Mafi
This book is about a girl who has a blessing/curse of not being able to touch people.  If she makes physical contact with another person, she electrocutes and kills them.  I know, I know... it sounds weird.  Trust me on this one.  A certain corrupt government found out about her gift when she killed a small child while trying to save him from his abusive mother, and threw her in to prison. They offer her the chance for freedom from the prison walls if she cooperates and acts as their weapon.  She breaks free and spends the remainder of the book on the run trying to hide, while also trying to figure out how to be in a romantic relationship.  The story line is intense, but the thing about this book that I loved the most is the way it is written.  The pages are loaded with words that have a strike through in them, as if you were watching the girl having an internal debate.  It is an amazing thematic element the author uses, and totally adds to the intensity and character development in the story.  This is the first book in the series, and I loved all three.  Buckle up for the wildest love triangle you've ever seen, and be aware that it gets a little steamy!





You Are a Badass
By: Jen Sincero

This is another of my favorite self help books! As you might have guessed, the book contains some language, so if that is something that offends you please steer clear.  This book is all about gaining all the confidence.  She talks about using things like faith, energy, and affirmations to improve where you need to improve and recognize that you are stronger than you think.  Her one liners are my favorite.  "Feed fear a suck-it sandwich!" She kills me.  This is a book I will read again and again, and if you are into audio books I recommend this one ten times more.  Jen Sincero reads the book, and for some reason when the author reads I am so much more intrigued.



For Everyone
By: Jason Reynolds

This book is a super fast read.  Like I'm talking you can finish it in 30 minutes max.  The entire book is written as a poem, which sounds weird but is super awesome if you give it a try.  The idea is all about following your dreams and being courageous.  It is an awesome feel good book for when you're feeling a little down and need a pick me up.  I want to keep a copy of it in my car for that exact reason.  This would be an awesome book to read with kids occasionally to help boost their ability to dream big.  "Dreams don't have timelines, deadlines, and aren't always in straight lines.  Jump anyway."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

you little smarty pants.

I'm not sure if you've heard or not, but I'm a teacher.  If you're new here, welcome! and buckle up because I talk about my job A LOT.  I feel very passionate about education, and have some strong opinions about pedagogy, testing, homework, and more. I'm also a strong advocate for teachers.  My poor boys are so screwed.  I'd like to think I'll always have their backs when it comes to dealing with issues at school, but if they are being bone heads to their teachers... beware the wrath of this mom-teacher.  I have a feeling I'll be taking the side of the teacher. Whatever.  My oldest son is in second grade and participating in a dual immersion program at school.  This means that half of his day is learning language arts and reading in English, and half of his day is spent learning science and math in Spanish.  I'm talking no English speaking is allowed.  I have great things to say about this program, and some negative things, but overall it is work

i never wanted to be a teacher, but here we are

I've taught English for almost a decade.  For a while it was 8th and 9th grade, but for the last six years I have taught strictly 9th and 9th grade honors English.  I've also coached cheerleading and been the student government advisor, which means that over the course of the last nine years I have worked with the best this junior high has to offer.  Don't get me wrong, all 15 year old kids can be squirrly and obnoxious, but for the most part--if you smack them around a little--they are so fun. Those elementary teachers, though? They are the real heroes. If you screw up a kid in elementary, they are screwed for life... at my job, they come already screwed up.  Way less pressure that way. I'm obviously kind of kidding. My days are mostly the same.  Instruction, grading, a hormonal girl crying, pulling two kids away from each other as they try to make out in  the hall--my kids know my rules on PDA: 1. you must be good looking and 2. you must be good at it, and they are

knock it right off

Working in the junior high means I get to see a lot of things--some good, some bad.  Lots of ugly and lots of smelly.  One thing I see repeatedly, however, is people being mean to each other.  And I'm not just talking about the students.  Parents are mean to each other.  Parents are mean to staff and teachers.  Teachers are mean to each other.  Teachers are mean to parents and students.  Students are mean to staff and teachers.  I want to strap a Go-Pro to my head and let the world see exactly what I see, because I think the majority of society would be appalled. And this morning I realized that I have had enough. The problem is, I don't feel like this behavior is strictly found inside the walls of this school.  In fact, if we are being honest with ourselves, I think the same behavior is found literally everywhere.  People are mean.  And right now "bullying" is a buzz word.  Now, I'm not going to point the finger at everyone else.  I'm the meanest human I kn