Skip to main content

goals.

For Christmas each year, my siblings and I draw names for gifts.  We are all immature enough to require presents, yet mature enough to not want to buy one for everyone.  Such well rounded individuals... our parents must be so proud.  Anyway, my sister drew me this last year, and she gave me something I am cherishing more and more with each passing day.  This book has a simple prompt in it for each day of the year, and you repeat through it for three years.  Some of the prompts are easy for me to answer, but some are quite difficult.  This last week I came across one that was difficult and it's been bothering me for a few days now.

Most prompts take me 1-3 minutes to fill in.  This one? Over and hour.  And that was for the first two.  As I thought about that for a bit, I was struck at how readily I can come up with things to say about others.  If someone came to me and asked me to list three nice things about anyone I knew, I could rattle them off with no struggle.  Why then, couldn't I do that for myself?  In our church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, I serve as a leader for the 14-15 year old girls.  We have a weekly activity on Wednesday nights, and this last week that fell the day after I had seen this prompt from my list journal.  At our activity, a woman I admire stood and invited everyone in attendance to think of someone they would like to love better. 
Our theme for the year is found in John 14:15, and it begins with the phrase "If ye love me..." we talked about love and how showing others pure love also shows Christ love.  As I thought about that concept, I tried to think of someone I could love more.  Who did I struggle with?  What person in my life needed my kindness? Of all the individuals in my life, the person that I thought I needed to work hard at loving better was myself. 

This last week I set two goals for myself: 1. Follow the plan I've laid out to love myself more, and 2. stop keeping kind thoughts I have to myself.  Two weeks ago I was walking in to a store and walked by a beautiful woman.  She was tall, had a perfectly styled top knot, stylish clothes, and a beautiful toddler daughter holding her hand.  She and I made eye contact and I smiled.  She, however, looked me square in the face and said "You are beautiful!" It wasn't loud or boisterous, but rather a statement that felt as genuine as my love of diet dr pepper, and it took me so off guard I stumbled over and embarrassed "thank you."  I thought back to that moment as this last week, and how her comment made me feel.  I have thoughts like that about people all the time. 

That woman is such a good mom!

I admire her hair.

Look at how patient that woman is as she waits for her fiiz!

The simple act that woman demonstrated by voicing a kind thought changed my whole day.  I immediately stood a little taller and felt better about myself.  I would love to be able to pay it forward, so I've decided that my two main goals for this year are going to be to love myself better, and voice my kind thoughts and observations.  Here's to hoping these last longer than March 1. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

knock it right off

Working in the junior high means I get to see a lot of things--some good, some bad.  Lots of ugly and lots of smelly.  One thing I see repeatedly, however, is people being mean to each other.  And I'm not just talking about the students.  Parents are mean to each other.  Parents are mean to staff and teachers.  Teachers are mean to each other.  Teachers are mean to parents and students.  Students are mean to staff and teachers.  I want to strap a Go-Pro to my head and let the world see exactly what I see, because I think the majority of society would be appalled. And this morning I realized that I have had enough. The problem is, I don't feel like this behavior is strictly found inside the walls of this school.  In fact, if we are being honest with ourselves, I think the same behavior is found literally everywhere.  People are mean.  And right now "bullying" is a buzz word.  Now, I'm not going to point the finger at everyone else.  I'm the meanest human I kn

home tour part 1

You've all been begging for it--and by all I mean like 3 of you--so here it is.  We love our home, and one post wouldn't do it justice, so here is part one.  Say hello to the heart of the Hodges' home--the kitchen, dining, and pantry spaces.                           When we were designing the kitchen, the original plan was quite a bit different than the end result.  For example, I originally wanted a copper apron sink, but since I didn't have $4,000 to throw in that direction, we had to adapt.   The other day, Dewy and I were talking and he said, "Amber, face it.  You get whatever you want.  Just admit it." Although I knew he wasn't wrong, I didn't want to admit that I knew he spoke gospel truth here.  If I want it, I get it.  Sometimes it's because Dewy wants it too.  Sometimes it's because Dewy doesn't care, and sometimes it's because I knew he would hate it so I didn't ask before hand but went ahead and made eyes at him

i'm not as good as i once was

Being a mom of boys, I always anticipated the day when sports would take over our lives.  I didn't anticipate the decibels it would raise my voice to, or how much hair I could lose from yanking on it. I also didn't realize that I could love and hate something so fiercely... you know... other than my children.   I grew up in an athletic family, and sports have always been a part of my life, so I was totally fine with sports consuming us.  Being on the mom end of sports is a whole different animal than being a player, and I'm not going to sit here and lie to you and say that mama bear hasn't unleashed from time to time on an unsuspecting five year old. There are a lot of opinions revolving around the idea of organized sports, and having been a coach I'll be the first to acknowledge that this world isn't for everyone.  I do think that there are important life lessons that come from being on a team, which is why I will always encourage my boys to play.  I also bel