Skip to main content

friday favorites date night edition.

Yesterday Dewy and I celebrated our engagement anniversary, so for Friday favorites this week we are talking dates.  Dewy and I go on dates every week.  We guard that night with our lives, and truth be told our boys love it as much as we do.  They beg for babysitters.  It can't possibly be because I'm anything less than a joy 24-7, right?  Whatever.

This week's favorites are going to be my favorite dates that Dewy and I have gone on.  We are pretty predictable most weeks, but there have been some really fun things we've done.

1. Paddle boarding and dinner on the dam.
We are lucky enough to live right by Weber State University, and their recreation department rents out all kinds of equipment.  One Friday night, we joined our besties and rented four adult size paddle boards.  $40 got us the boards for 24 hours.  We grabbed Cafe Rio and hit Pine View dam.  After a quick picnic on the beach, we got in the water.  We had a blast figuring out how not to fall off the boards, and all about died laughing when Dewy--who is terrified of Tiger Muskies--all but ran across the water to avoid being eaten alive.  A bonus to this date night, was that we had the boards for 24 hours, which meant the next day we packed snacks and lunch and took the kids up to the dam to play for the day.  I think this date ranks as my most favorite date of all time.

2.  Sports
Sports are a passion that Dewy and I have always had in common.  We like to incorporate sports into our dates, and its a nice variation between our typical dinner and dessert.  We have played tennis, softball, golf, and pickle ball, and we always have so much fun.  We are both extremely competitive, so it helps if we double date so we can be on the same team.  However, competing against each other and then making up later never hurt anybody.

3. Archery League
We all know that Dewy is obsessed with nature and hunting.  He especially loves bow hunting.  The winter months are a little bit more difficult when it comes to finding different things to do for date night, however January brings Archery League at a place in Bountiful called Wild Arrow.  Archery league is a blast, mostly because of the company.  You can attend every Friday night, or simply whenever you want, and the night consists of shooting at faux animal targets and a halftime game.  The people there are so much fun, and my only complaint about this kind of date is that it lasts a while which makes babysitting a little more pricey.  We've also shot guns, and when I say "we" I mean he shoots and I stare at his bum.  I would like the record to show, however that I am actually a really good shot.

4. Try a new restaurant
One of the easiest date night ideas is to pick a new restaurant to go try.  Take turns deciding who gets to select the dinner location.  A while ago I made a social media post asking friends to share with me their favorite places to eat.  I've got a list of places for us to try, and whenever we can't think of somewhere to go, I pull a place off that list.  Trying new food is fun, and we have discovered some great restaurants by doing this. This is simple, can be done during any season, and pays off later as well if you find a real gem of a spot.  And if you do, tell me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

home tour part 1

You've all been begging for it--and by all I mean like 3 of you--so here it is.  We love our home, and one post wouldn't do it justice, so here is part one.  Say hello to the heart of the Hodges' home--the kitchen, dining, and pantry spaces.                           When we were designing the kitchen, the original plan was quite a bit different than the end result.  For example, I originally wanted a copper apron sink, but since I didn't have $4,000 to throw in that direction, we had to adapt.   The other day, Dewy and I were talking and he said, "Amber, face it.  You get whatever you want.  Just admit it." Although I knew he wasn't wrong, I didn't want to admit that I knew he spoke gospel truth here.  If I want it, I get it.  Sometimes it's because Dewy wants it too.  Sometimes it's because Dewy doesn't care, and sometimes it's because I knew he would hate it so I didn't ask before hand but went ahead and made eyes at him

knock it right off

Working in the junior high means I get to see a lot of things--some good, some bad.  Lots of ugly and lots of smelly.  One thing I see repeatedly, however, is people being mean to each other.  And I'm not just talking about the students.  Parents are mean to each other.  Parents are mean to staff and teachers.  Teachers are mean to each other.  Teachers are mean to parents and students.  Students are mean to staff and teachers.  I want to strap a Go-Pro to my head and let the world see exactly what I see, because I think the majority of society would be appalled. And this morning I realized that I have had enough. The problem is, I don't feel like this behavior is strictly found inside the walls of this school.  In fact, if we are being honest with ourselves, I think the same behavior is found literally everywhere.  People are mean.  And right now "bullying" is a buzz word.  Now, I'm not going to point the finger at everyone else.  I'm the meanest human I kn

i'm not as good as i once was

Being a mom of boys, I always anticipated the day when sports would take over our lives.  I didn't anticipate the decibels it would raise my voice to, or how much hair I could lose from yanking on it. I also didn't realize that I could love and hate something so fiercely... you know... other than my children.   I grew up in an athletic family, and sports have always been a part of my life, so I was totally fine with sports consuming us.  Being on the mom end of sports is a whole different animal than being a player, and I'm not going to sit here and lie to you and say that mama bear hasn't unleashed from time to time on an unsuspecting five year old. There are a lot of opinions revolving around the idea of organized sports, and having been a coach I'll be the first to acknowledge that this world isn't for everyone.  I do think that there are important life lessons that come from being on a team, which is why I will always encourage my boys to play.  I also bel