Skip to main content

spring cleaning how-to.

Last week was our spring break, and while everyone I knew was off laying on a beach with a book and a beverage--or so it seemed--I was at home looking like Rosie the Riveter.  I grew up spring cleaning on spring break, and my kids are going to do the same, dang it.  I shared some of my spring cleaning tips on Instagram, and then decided to create a post with all the tips, tricks, how-to's, and products I love.  You're welcome.



Get organized! The night before I'm going to begin my spring cleaning, I make a list of EVERYTHING I want to get done during the week.  This list is usually lofty, and I have not ONCE made it through the entire thing.  However, having the list is motivating to keep working, and the kids like the fulfillment of scratching things off.  My list has everything broken down by room.  For example:




FRONT ROOM
-walls
-baseboards
-vacuum
-window
-dust
-window screen
-blinds
-wash blanket
-beat rug
-wipe fan

I do this for every room.  Normally a list like this would be done using google keep, but my kids LOVE crossing things off the list, so I go with handwriting it to ensure the additional motivator.  Speaking of motivators...

My kids help spring clean.  Some tasks, like cleaning off the fan, they can't do.  However, most of them they can at least help with.  The kicker is to find out what motivates them and use that to get them involved.  For Larsen, it's giving him all the pennies in my cup holder from my car.  And chocolate milk.  For Rhett, it's basketball cards or going to play with friends.  Having the kids help clean gives them a sense of ownership for our house.  When we start, I tell them that I only have two hands.  There are five people that live here, and it's not very fair to expect my two hands to keep the place clean.  I then explain the goal.  Today, we are going to clean these three rooms, and if we get done then I'll give you a prize! As you can imagine, once we get going they start to lose momentum, so I throw small motivators out like letting them pick the next song we jam to--and you better believe that blue tooth speaker is rattling the windows the whole time we clean, or letting them mark something off the list and pick the next task we tackle.  You get it.  

Have your supplies on hand and fully stocked.  I ran out of my favorite cleaning product, and it totally threw off my groove.  This was something I got asked about A LOT during my spring cleaning updates on Instagram, so I'm going to introduce the products I use for each task, and guess what? there are only two products you need! SAY WHAT?!

First, I use Mr. Clean concentrate.  This is like my holy grail cleaning product.  I use it for EVERYTHING.  I fill up my kitchen sink with hot water and Mr. Clean and use that water for mopping the floors.  I fill up an ice cream bucket with hot water and Mr. Clean to use for wiping walls, baseboards, blinds, knick knacks, etc.  Plan on being disgusted by how gross the water gets, and switching out the water at least twice.

Second, I use windex wipes.  This is not the first time I've gushed about these perfect little cleaning products.  Windex nailed it on these things.  I use these to clean mirrors, windows, appliances, and anything that could get streaky like chrome faucets or drawer pulls.  I go through these so fast that I've had to find the best way to keep them on hand.  Second to Windex just sending them my way, I've found that Amazon is the best bet.  You can buy them in bulk, shocking, and trust me when I say once you use them you will NEVER STOP.


I will close this post with one tip that is sure to blow your mind.  If you have ceiling fans, you may have noticed the disgusting dust that gathers on the blades.  Right? Now, if you take a rag and wipe the blades off, the nastiness falls on the floor and makes you gag when your toddler walks through it and treks it everywhere, or gets it on his hands and then licks them... holy dry heave.  It hurts to even joke about.   Enter the king size pillow case! I use a pillow case to clean my fan blades.  Simply slide the blade into the case, wrap your hands around the blade, and slide the case off.  The dust falls into the case, and is contained--woot!--and its like the fastest way ever to clean a fan.  Again, you're welcome!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

knock it right off

Working in the junior high means I get to see a lot of things--some good, some bad.  Lots of ugly and lots of smelly.  One thing I see repeatedly, however, is people being mean to each other.  And I'm not just talking about the students.  Parents are mean to each other.  Parents are mean to staff and teachers.  Teachers are mean to each other.  Teachers are mean to parents and students.  Students are mean to staff and teachers.  I want to strap a Go-Pro to my head and let the world see exactly what I see, because I think the majority of society would be appalled. And this morning I realized that I have had enough. The problem is, I don't feel like this behavior is strictly found inside the walls of this school.  In fact, if we are being honest with ourselves, I think the same behavior is found literally everywhere.  People are mean.  And right now "bullying" is a buzz word.  Now, I'm not going to point the finger at everyone else.  I'm the meanest human I kn

i never wanted to be a teacher, but here we are

I've taught English for almost a decade.  For a while it was 8th and 9th grade, but for the last six years I have taught strictly 9th and 9th grade honors English.  I've also coached cheerleading and been the student government advisor, which means that over the course of the last nine years I have worked with the best this junior high has to offer.  Don't get me wrong, all 15 year old kids can be squirrly and obnoxious, but for the most part--if you smack them around a little--they are so fun. Those elementary teachers, though? They are the real heroes. If you screw up a kid in elementary, they are screwed for life... at my job, they come already screwed up.  Way less pressure that way. I'm obviously kind of kidding. My days are mostly the same.  Instruction, grading, a hormonal girl crying, pulling two kids away from each other as they try to make out in  the hall--my kids know my rules on PDA: 1. you must be good looking and 2. you must be good at it, and they are

home tour part 1

You've all been begging for it--and by all I mean like 3 of you--so here it is.  We love our home, and one post wouldn't do it justice, so here is part one.  Say hello to the heart of the Hodges' home--the kitchen, dining, and pantry spaces.                           When we were designing the kitchen, the original plan was quite a bit different than the end result.  For example, I originally wanted a copper apron sink, but since I didn't have $4,000 to throw in that direction, we had to adapt.   The other day, Dewy and I were talking and he said, "Amber, face it.  You get whatever you want.  Just admit it." Although I knew he wasn't wrong, I didn't want to admit that I knew he spoke gospel truth here.  If I want it, I get it.  Sometimes it's because Dewy wants it too.  Sometimes it's because Dewy doesn't care, and sometimes it's because I knew he would hate it so I didn't ask before hand but went ahead and made eyes at him